Thursday, March 9th, 2017
2016/17 has been some of Newcastle’s most progressive years in terms of infrastructure and modernisation and over the next five year's the city of Newcastle will be in for the ride of a lifetime.
As a city, Newcastle is stepping up and reinventing itself from a town built on coal and steel to a buzzing services based economy.
New planned infrastructure will help us connect like never before with projects in road, rail, ports and telecommunications positively impacting local development and economic growth.
We highlight some of the key infrastructure projects currently underway below:
- 6 stations along a 2.7km corridor
WICKHAM TRANSPORT INTERCHANGE
- World-class infrastructure integrating trains, buses, taxis, light rail, cyclists and car drop-off and pick-ups.
UON CITY CAMPUS
- New Space is a new education precinct currently under development by the University of Newcastle which involves the construction of a new inner city campus which will cater for 3000 local and international.
- On the 12th December 2016, the University of Newcastle announced three new sites in Honeysuckle. Over the coming year, the university will develop a master plan which will consider options for teaching and learning facilities, campus support services, student accommodation and public areas.
STATE LAW COURTS
- Construction of the NSW Court complex has now been completed.
WILLIAMTOWN RAAF BASE
- Upgrades to roads, buildings, runway and facilities for the Joint Strike Fighter Fleet.
NEWCASTLE CRUISE TERMINAL
- Construction of a purpose-built 3,000 m2 cruise terminal including a dedicated car park, enhanced wharf infrastructure and improved accessibility for ship provisioning.
NEWCASTLE AIRPORT REDEVELOPMENT
- Upgrade including new departure lounge and arrivals hall, dedicated facilities for customs, immigration and quarantine to facilitate international services.
HUNTER STREET MALL RENEWAL
- Redevelopment of Hunter Street Mall comprising a mix of residential apartments, boutique and lifestyle outlets, plus a small area of commercial space.
HUNTER INNOVATION PROJECT
- The project will provide free Wi-Fi, cutting edge smart parking, smart street lighting technology and a new innovation hub for researchers, students, industry and entrepreneurs.